Spiced carrot muffins are one of my favorites, but I have never thought to make them before. At Queen’s I used to get a carrot muffin and a white hot chocolate when I was studying in the library and I forgot how much I enjoyed the muffins! I thought I would try my hand at a new recipe that I found online.
They definitely came out warm, light and yummy! I think they are not quite the ones I remember though and I will probably keep experimenting with some other recipes. I am going to keep this one though, I think they will make great and healthy snacks!
Carrot and Apple Muffins
The recipe is for 12 muffins, but I made then a bit smaller and wound up with 17.
Each muffin is 168 calories if making 17 muffins.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 150g grated apple (this was two medium granny smiths)
- 150g grated carrots (this was two medium carrots)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk (I used 2%, but any should work)
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil (can use vegetable oil too)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/ 350F.
- Line a muffin tray with muffin cases or grease the muffin pots.
- In a bowl mix together flour, oats, baking powder, spices and sugar.
- Grate carrots and apples and add to the dry ingredients, mix until combined.
- In a stand mixer combine the eggs vanilla extract, milk and oil.
- Add the dry ingredients and beat on lowest level until ingredients have just combined with no lumps of flour. Don’t over mix!
- Divide and place into muffin cases. It was about two heaped spoonfuls in each cup.
- Bake in over for 15-20 minutes. The muffins should have risen and become lightly golden, if you insert a toothpick or wooden skewer it should come out clean.
- Allow to cool in muffin tray for a few minutes and then cool on a wire rack.
Next time I might use this recipe, but double the amount of cinnamon and ginger that went in. I would also consider changing the oil to butter and possibly changing some of the apple for more carrot. I think baking with butter usually winds up tasting a bit nicer. I will post a follow-up when I try the recipe again!
Enjoy the yummy muffins!!!!