Ok, so this was such a super cool way to find what turned out to be an awesome recipe. Jürgen and I were ambling through a second-hand book store a little while ago and I stumbled upon a cook book in there that looked pretty well-loved.
I figured that it would mean that the recipes were probably pretty good so I was flipping through the pages and out fell this…
It was a hand written recipe by someone for Raspberry Pavlova. I just thought it was such a cool way to find it, so I had to make it my next recipe.
I have never made meringue before so it was also going to be a really good challenge! It came out so well and is ridiculously yummy to eat! I made a few tiny changes from the hand written recipe based on other websites I read with tips for making meringue. All in all I thought the recipe was super fun and easy to follow! What an awesome find!
If serving 8, the recipe is 331 calories per slice.
The main calorie contributor is definitely the cream, so you could add less to reduce this number.
- 3 egg whites
- 175g castor sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 level tsp cornflour
- 300mL double cream
- 2 Tbs icing sugar (or too taste)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 250g raspberries (or fruit of your choice)
- Draw an 18cm circle on a sheet of non-stick baking parchment and place the paper mark side down on a baking sheet.
- Whisk the egg whites until it forms stiff peaks.
- I would highly recommend doing this in a stand mixer if you can because it takes quite a while even with the mixer.
- Also be very careful that there is no yolk in with the egg whites!
- Slowly add the castor sugar with the mixer still turned on low, adding sugar about 1TBs at a time. Keep the machine mixing until the meringue is shiny and stiff.
- When I added my sugar my mixture when a bit soft, but by mixing it on medium speed for a few minutes, it stiffened again.
- Gently fold in the vanilla, vinegar and cornflower with a large metal spoon.
- Spread the meringue over the circle evenly. It is worth making the top relatively flat because you will be adding things to the top.
- Tip: Use little dots of meringue to keep baking paper in place!
- Bake in over preheated to 150 C (gas mark 2) for 1 hour 15 minutes. This makes a firm, but mallowy inside, baking longer it will be crisper inside if you prefer that!
- I would keep an eye on it from the one hour mark, in case your oven is hotter than mine!
- Remove meringue from oven and gently peel off the baking paper. Leave to cool on a FLAT cooling rack/plate. Meringue is very delicate so be careful here and make sure the cooling rack or plate is flat or it can crack it.
- Whisk the cream until stiff.
- Add vanilla and icing sugar to cream and whisk again.
- Carefully pile the cream onto the top of the meringue.
- Place raspberries on top.
- One of the original recipe tips is to make sure to use fresh fruit, not frozen.
Enjoy the yummy treat! We sure did!!!!